Suggestions for new projects? | WickedlySmart

Suggestions for new projects?

Welcome to WickedlySmart Forums Project#1: The Game of Life Suggestions for new projects?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Nenad Bulatović 10 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

WickedlySmart
    Keymaster

We really need your suggestions for new projects. What kinds of projects really get you interested and inspired? What languages and environments are you interested in?

Thanks!

Eric

Walter Falby
    Participant

I have a couple of pet peeves in the Java area. First, the memory analyzers available are near useless when trying to find a memory leak in an application. I’ve tried two of them. They were nearly identical in their output. Neither got me to the code that caused the leak. I understand that the problem may be the lack of code; objects not be freed. They should tell me where the object that caused the leak was created. And then there is the problem of a multi-threaded app. One thread that is the hog and another thread that is the piglet but gets just enough memory to cause the problem. Second, finding the line of code that caused an unhandled exception. This could be a runtime exception. A simple example would be a divide by zero. For both of these, the platform matters. Since Java can run anywhere, the solution should be platform independent. I have some ideas for Java running on z/OS; IBM’s mainframe operating system. It may be that the platform defines the solution. Something to noodle on.

Elisabeth Robson
    Keymaster

Thank you for the suggestions, Walter.

Joseph Jalbert
    Participant

How about a simple program that could download the latest entries in a checking account from a previously opened page on a banking site, into an html page in my computer, to show how that would be accomplished. Authentication is too complex for a small project I assume. I simply want to understand the process better.

Marco
    Participant

It’s all about connecting applications, now, right? So, what about a project about pushing data into a crm using cURL + JSON and an API key? And vice versa, ie retrieving data from the crm. Suggestion for the crm : Prosperworks. In general, a project how cURL can be applied.

ayriana22
    Participant

It would be really cool to do a project using CreateJS to build a browser based game.

Elisabeth Robson
    Keymaster

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Nenad Bulatović
    Participant

Java + Spring and maybe Hibernate would be great.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Give your Brain a Treat!

Don't miss out on brain-friendly updates, new WickedlySmart Projects, early access to books and general cool stuff! Just give us your email and we'll send you something about once a week. Don't worry, we'll never sell your name and you can remove yourself at any time.

Check your email to confirm your subscription.